Connecting You to the Future Today
JEA installed advanced technology meters throughout our service territory more than a decade ago. New technology in electric meters continues to modernize the electric grid, the first step toward developing a smart grid that will allow customers more control over their electric usage than ever before. You may have received a letter or door hanger from JEA letting you know that we replaced your electric meter with the latest version of the advanced technology meter. We expect to install 60,000 by the end of 2013. We will strategically install these meters for the purpose of improving reliability and activating new service options. JEA is excited to bring this new technology to our customers.
There are many benefits to the new advanced technology meters:
- Enable you to monitor your electricity usage on an hourly basis, helping you control your usage to save money
- Enhance reliability by detecting outages sooner so we can restore power faster
- Increase privacy and convenience because meters are read remotely without a technician coming onto your property
- Offer quicker connection and disconnection service because these are performed remotely
- Reduce costs and emissions because a truck doesn't have to come to your home
- Upgrade your meter so it is ready to receive future services we may offer
- Keep rates down by delaying the need to build expensive power plants as customers control their consumption of electricity
How It Works
An advanced technology meter connects your home to the electric grid with two-way communication. It records usage data from your home hourly and sends it to JEA over a secure wireless network. This communication alerts us when you have an outage, and in the near future it will let you know when you have used more than a preset limit that you choose. The communication will allow you to monitor your usage on jea.com.
How Can I See My Hourly Usage?
Throughout the spring of 2013, we will introduce customers to My JEA Utility Tracker on jea.com. When the Tracker has been activated for your account and you log in on jea.com, you will be able to access detailed information about how your specific home uses electricity and water, and it will suggest steps that you can take to use less so you can lower your bill. If you have an advanced technology meter, you will be able to easily see exactly how much electricity you use every hour. With that information, you can see where you have opportunities to use less to lower your bill.
Health and Safety
The low-power radios in the new meters operate the same as those in the meters we have used since the mid-2000s. The radio frequency (RF) given off is hundreds of times lower than the health and safety standard set by the Federal Communications Commission. The radios are idle 99 percent of the time and give off a small fraction of RF compared to many common household items like cell phones, baby monitors and wireless computers.
Privacy and Security
Your information is safe-guarded on our advanced secure wireless network. We will never sell your information or email address to a third party. Click here to read our privacy statement.